[Check_mk (english)] agent permissions -

Jolyon Brown jolyon at limilo.com
Thu Feb 12 18:18:47 CET 2015

Hi All

I've been asked a query on a project I'm on - namely the permissions for
the agent.

We have firewall rules in place restricting access to agent port 6556 so
only the monitoring server itself can get to it.

We also have the xinetd.d/check_mk agent line that restricts access to the
same address

However someone isn't happy here at my client site about having the agent
run with root permissions. I'm loathe to give up the data running with
these permissions. What solutions do others have here? A dedicated user on
the remote boxes? Wrapping with ssh?

Regards

Jolyon

Limilo Ltd

Registered in England no: 07778174

Registered office: Netpark Incubator, Thomas Wright Way, Sedgefield, TS21
3FD

VAT no: 190425515