[Check_mk (english)] LDAP sync problem with AD and French accented characters

"Beaulieu, René [2]" Beaulieu.Rene2 at hydro.qc.ca
Wed Feb 18 15:03:50 CET 2015

Hi.

Running version 1.2.6b1 on RHEL6. Syncing my users with a Windows Active Directory 2003/2008r2 server though LDAP. It works great. Almost always...

Where we live, people often have accents in their name. When such a new user appears in the Check_MK group, things just break in WATO. We can't apply changes pending or sync users anymore. In the "save & test" section of the LDAP settings we then have a message such as the following:

    'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xe9' in position xxxx: ordinal not in range(128)

Our fix right now is to contact our AD admin and ask them to remove all the offending characters for the new users in their DisplayName field but this is getting to be a problem.

I noticed that there already is an option to replace umlauts with non-accented characters in the LDAP settings. Would it be possible to add an option to treat the french accented letters the same way?

Any information on the subject would be appreciated. Thanks.