[Check_mk (english)] HP ILO Monitoring

Kim Mount kim.mount at cutterproject.co.uk
Tue Feb 24 14:29:45 CET 2015

Hey Sketch,

This sounds fantastic.

Many thanks for this!

Kim

----- Original Message -----

From: "Sketch" <checkmk at rednsx.org>
To: "Kim Mount" <kim.mount at cutterproject.co.uk>
Cc: checkmk-en at lists.mathias-kettner.de
Sent: Tuesday, 24 February, 2015 1:28:05 PM
Subject: Re: [Check_mk (english)] HP ILO Monitoring

On Tue, 24 Feb 2015, Kim Mount wrote:

> I'm just wondering what the current best way of monitoring HP ILO3/4 is?
>
> It can send SNMP alerts but from what I can see it's not walkable which is a
> shame.

By default, the iLO's SNMP is set to passthrough, which requires you to
run HP's SNMP agents on the host to collect data. You won't get any data
via SNMP on iLO unless they are running.

However, a new feature in iLO 4 is agentless management. This means iLO
can pull data from the sensors, hp raid arrays, etc directly, and you can
poll iLO via SNMP without involving the OS at all. You'll have to disable
passthrough and enable agentless management via the web interface or
hponcfg. For the latter, I believe this will do the job:

<RIBCL VERSION="2.1">
<LOGIN USER_LOGIN="Administrator" PASSWORD="password">
<RIB_INFO mode="write"><MOD_SNMP_IM_SETTINGS>
<SNMP_ADDRESS_1 VALUE=""/>
<SNMP_ADDRESS_1_ROCOMMUNITY VALUE="public"/>
<SNMP_PASSTHROUGH_STATUS VALUE="N"/>
<AGENTLESS_MANAGEMENT_ENABLE VALUE="Y"/>
</MOD_SNMP_IM_SETTINGS></RIB_INFO>
</RIB_INFO>
</LOGIN>
</RIBCL>

Unfortunately, this only works on iLO 4, so you'll still have to run
HP's SNMP agents on your ilO 3 hosts if you want to collect host data via
iLO.