[Check_mk (english)] logwatch - Log Application

Tost, Lance LTost at armada.net
Wed Jul 20 17:24:00 CEST 2016

What client version are you using?  I'm pretty sure logwatch is broken in the 1.2.8p4 Windows client.

Here is my proof.  We have a SQL job that fails intentionally and logs to the Application event log.  Using the 1.2.6p16 Windows client, and forwarding the logs to the event console, I set up a rule to match anything.  Here is what I see with 1.2.6p16:

"Jul 19 19:57:27 16384.208 SQLSERVERAGENT SQL Server Scheduled Job 'DBS - Priority 1: Test Job' (0xFDF3AAEFE027924B99E4489D37E1459B) - Status: Failed - Invoked on: 2016-07-19 19:57:27 - Message: The job failed. The Job was invoked by User monitor. The last step to run was step 1 (Test Step)."

Next, I upgraded the Windows agent to 1.2.8p4.  This was the only change I made.  The same event console rule matched and showed me the content as this:

"Jul 19 19:52:50 16384.208 SQLSERVERAGENT SQL Server Scheduled Job 'DBS - Priority 1: Test Job' (DBS - Priority 1: Test Job) - Status: DBS - Priority 1: Test Job - Invoked on: DBS - Priority 1: Test Job - Message: DBS - Priority 1: Test Job"

Something is wrong with the way the new agent is parsing the event log.  My rule originally matched and alerted on 'Status: Failed' which is how I found this problem - that string is not found in what the new agent returns.