[Check_mk (english)] mtr plugin

Timo Scheller timo.scheller at hiz-saarland.de
Mon Jul 25 21:15:49 CEST 2016

Hi,

i tried it too today. Got it working.
There is one important step missing.

You have to copy from the site where you install the mkp the mtr script
from /opt/omd/site/local/share/.../mtr (as i recall from my mind)
to: /usr/lib/check_mk_agent/plugins/mtr

Then, the check_mk-agent will pick up the mtr and the mtr.cfg (/etc/check_mk/mtr.cfg)
on that host.

After that, that plugin is really are amazing. Once you understand, what you
now have in your hands...

The config is not so tricky at all, when you know all the parameters:
# Mtr Check_MK configuration

# NOTE: your MTR report shouldn’t take longer than 15 minutes

# [DEFAULTS]
# type=icmp # icmp, tcp or udp
# count=10 # number of pings per mtr report
# force_ipv4=0 # force ipv4, exclusive with force_ipv6
# force_ipv6=0 # force ipv6, exclusive with force_ipv4
# size=64 # packet size
# time=0 # minimum time between runs, 0 / default means run if mtr doesn’t run anymore
# port=80 # UDP/TCP port to connect to
# dns=0 # Use DNS resolution to lookup addresses
# address= # Bind to source address
# interval= # time MTR waits between sending pings
# timeout= # ping Timeout, see mtr man page

The reports you got then, have some time to understand what you get.

But, it works mostly good with Ubuntu/Debian flavors.
With SLES11, older then SP3, not so much....
Mostly because the syntax of the mtr seems different....

HTH

Timo