[Check_mk (english)] Checking if backups are working

Allan Thorne allan.thorne at monash.edu
Tue Jul 26 00:10:36 CEST 2016

We used the piggyback method:

1) On our central Tivoli Server we produce a daily report of backups - 1
line per server
2) From this report a local check (which goes into
/usr/lib/check_mk_agent/local is generated which creates piggyback data
    which can reside on the Tivoli server or in our case copied to the
Monitoring master server.

   eg.

    #!/bin/sh
    echo "<<<<server-a.com>>>>"
    echo "<<<local>>>"
    echo "0 tsm_backup - Backup Completed"
    echo "<<<<>>>>"
    echo "<<<<server-a.com>>>>"
    echo "<<<local>>>"
    echo "2 tsm_backup - Backup Terminated"
    echo "<<<<>>>>"

     Please note the use of two and four groups.

     Once this piggy back data is sent, there will be a service
'tsm_backup' appear on each host specified.

Regards
       Allan Thorne
       eSolutions
       Monash University

On 26 July 2016 at 06:16, Mathieu Levi <mlevi at collective.com> wrote:

> There are a few different ways.
>
> One way is to copy off the
> /opt/omd/sites/SITENAME/var/check_mk/wato/snapshots/ dir, and if you need
> to restore, simply restore the latest snapshot.  The downside is that this
> auto-snapshot doesn't do more than back up the basic configuration and
> event console data.  If you want the performance data, etc., then you'll
> need to create the snapshot by hand.  Would love for someone how to tell me
> how to control what's in the snapshot if I want more than basic config
> backed up.
>
> Another way is via the check_mk command (i.e. cmk --backup FILE.tar.gz and
> --restore).  I have a script that runs nightly to back it up to a network
> share.
>
> Another way is to use the omd command (omd backup) but I haven't tested
> that.
>

> "Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2016 14:40:43 +0000
> From: Laura DiMauro
> To: "checkmk-en at lists.mathias-kettner.de"
>         <checkmk-en at lists.mathias-kettner.de>
> Subject: Re: [Check_mk (english)] Checking if backups are working
> BN6PR07MB27703291448508699DABECADD30D0 at BN6PR07MB2770.namprd07.prod.outlook.com

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to find a way to monitor our backups on network drives using
> Check_MK.
>
> We are using Tivoli for backups.
>

> I am assuming I will need to create some kind of script but I am not sure
> where to start.
>
> Any help or advice will be appreciated.
>

> Best Regards,
>
> Laura"