[Check_mk (english)] Checking if backups are working

Laura DiMauro ldimauro at unm.edu
Tue Jul 26 16:24:43 CEST 2016

Thank you all for the suggestions!

________________________________
From: tosolini, walter <walter.tosolini at cogitoweb.it>
Sent: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 7:29:12 AM
To: Ralph Bolton
Cc: Allan Thorne; Mathieu Levi; Laura DiMauro; checkmk-en
Subject: Re: [Check_mk (english)] Checking if backups are working

For Bacula system i found a plugin on Github.com and works fine, but you have to use postgree as db.

https://github.com/sts/checkmk/tree/master/bacula

Distinti Saluti,
Walter Tosolini
System Engineer

COGITO srl
Via Tavagnacco 63, 33100 Udine
Tel. +39 0432 486316<tel:%2B39%200432%20486316>
Fax +39 0432 1632281<tel:%2B39%200432%201632281>

Dati societari: www.cogitoweb.it<http://www.cogitoweb.it/> - e-mail: info at cogitoweb.it<mailto:info at cogitoweb.it>

Il contenuto di questa mail è tutelato dalla normativa sulla Privacy :
http://www.cogitoweb.it/privacy

We use Bacula for backups, which does things differently, but seems pretty similar too.

I had a similar problem - how to monitor something per-client that is run on a central server? The approach I took was:

- Get Bacula to run a script on each client after the backup is successful. It just drops a one line text file that has the date and the backup job number in it (it happens to be nicely human readable too)
- Write a local check to read that file and parse the date out of it. If the date > 30 hours, then go to Warning, if > 50 hours, then go to critical. That means if Bacula fails to visit at least daily, then we'll get an alert from the system that's been affected. If everything is okay, the check just echoes out the contents of the file.
- Have Bacula notify me of all failures (and actually, it's producing a summary like 'the backups on these 49 servers all succeeded:' too) - we use Slack, so it's posting those notification to a Slack channel, but email would be fine too.

The last step is the alert that tells you to go do some work (and that we actually ran some backups last night). The first two steps are really just a secondary check to make sure Bacula is running properly, that we didn't misconfigure a firewall which prevents backups to a host, and that all production hosts are in Bacula's config.

In your case, if you have a summary file on your Tivoli server with one line per client, then you can write a local check (on your tivoli server) that parses that file and looks for failures (and goes critical if there are any). You could get all fancy and have it count successes and failures and put them in as 'performance stats' so you get graphs in CheckMK too, if you wanted.

In fact, having just thought through your situation, I might well do something similar for myself - that way we'd get a CheckMK alert (as well as a Slack notification) when a backup fails in production - the good thing is that when a failed backup was run successfully, it would clear the alert (which Slack/email doesn't show very well). Could be cool :-)

...Ralph