[Check_mk (english)] mgmt_ipmi_sensors vs ipmi_sensors

Angelo Höngens angelo at hongens.nl
Thu Jun 27 20:53:11 CEST 2019

Hi guys and girls,

First post here.. I using check_mk raw for a while, and I just added a HP
DL380 G7 server to check_mk. It's running ESXi, and I want to monitor the
iLO for hardware failures using IPMI. I see the G7, which has iLO 3,
behaves a bit differently from iLO4 and iLO5's I see. I have very little
experience with IPMI.

If I configure the server's management board, I get ipmi sensor data from
the plugin mgmt_ipmi_sensors. However, these don't seem to make a lot of
sense:

example:

WARN Management Interface: IPMI Sensor Cntlr_1_Bay_1 Status: WARNING
mgmt_ipmi_sensors
WARN Management Interface: IPMI Sensor Cntlr_1_Bay_2 Status: WARNING
mgmt_ipmi_sensors
WARN Management Interface: IPMI Sensor Cntlr_1_Bay_3 Status: WARNING
mgmt_ipmi_sensors
WARN Management Interface: IPMI Sensor Cntlr_1_Bay_4 Status: WARNING
mgmt_ipmi_sensors
WARN Management Interface: IPMI Sensor Fan_1 Status: WARNING, 13.72%
mgmt_ipmi_sensors
WARN Management Interface: IPMI Sensor Fan_2 Status: WARNING, 13.72%
mgmt_ipmi_sensors
WARN Management Interface: IPMI Sensor Fan_3 Status: WARNING, 13.72%
mgmt_ipmi_sensors
WARN Management Interface: IPMI Sensor Fan_4 Status: WARNING, 13.72%
mgmt_ipmi_sensors
WARN Management Interface: IPMI Sensor Power_Supplies Status: WARNING
mgmt_ipmi_sensors
WARN Management Interface: IPMI Sensor Power_Supply_1 Status: WARNING, 60.0
W mgmt_ipmi_sensors
WARN Management Interface: IPMI Sensor Power_Supply_2 Status: WARNING, 60.0
W mgmt_ipmi_sensors

However, if I add the iLO as a separate host to monitor (i'd rather not,
but okay), and I configure the 'dicovery of IPMI sensors' rule, and I
configure the 'check ipmi sensors via freeipmi', I configure 'IPMI driver
type' to LAN_2_0 and i configure 'OEM data interpretation', I get these
values which make a lot more sense:

OK IPMI Sensor Cntlr_1_Bay_1 Status: Drive Presence ipmi_sensors
OK IPMI Sensor Cntlr_1_Bay_2 Status: Drive Presence ipmi_sensors
OK IPMI Sensor Cntlr_1_Bay_3 Status: Drive Presence ipmi_sensors
OK IPMI Sensor Cntlr_1_Bay_4 Status: Drive Presence ipmi_sensors
OK IPMI Sensor Fan_1 Status: transition to Running ipmi_sensors
OK IPMI Sensor Fan_2 Status: transition to Running ipmi_sensors
OK IPMI Sensor Fan_3 Status: transition to Running ipmi_sensors
OK IPMI Sensor Fan_4 Status: transition to Running ipmi_sensors
OK IPMI Sensor Power_Supplies Status: Fully Redundant ipmi_sensors
OK IPMI Sensor Power_Supply_1 Status: Presence detected ipmi_sensors
OK IPMI Sensor Power_Supply_2 Status: Presence detected ipmi_sensors

I cannot seem to find a way to configure the management ipmi sensors to
display the same values. Any one of you got a clue?

Thanks!

Kind regards,

Angelo Hongens