[omd-users] writing a time series check

Markus Joosten Markus.Joosten at dreger.de
Tue Jun 7 10:15:29 CEST 2011

James,

why not try a completely different approach?
Instead of parsing rrd-files, I'd suggest designing your plugin so that it writes the last captured value to a file and, during the next run, compares the historical value to the recent measured one.
I'd recommend to use a csv format for that, where you might also include a timestamp (or check the file's last modified time) to ensure the freshness of the historical data.

Hope that helps a bit!

Regards,
Markus

Am 07.06.2011 um 09:51 schrieb "James Todd" <james.todd at jivesoftware.com>:

> Hey Mathias -
>
>   Based on a bit of searching, I believe what I am looking for is to execute an rrdtool.fetch(...) operation from within a check, passing along the correct rrd path.
>
>   In searching through the default checks (as deployed via omd) i don't see any uses of rrd* from within the check scripts.
>
>   Am I on the right path here? wrong path? regardless, I could use a pointer on how best retrieve historic data from within a check in order to perform a time-series
>   calculation.
>
>   thx in advance,
>
> - james
>
> On Jun 6, 2011, at 12:26 AM, Mathias Kettner wrote:
>
> > Hi James,
> >
> > please have a look at this:
> >
> > http://mathias-kettner.de/checkmk_writing_checks.html
> >
> > Am 05.06.2011 21:01, schrieb James Todd:
> >>
> >> hi -
> >>
> >>   i am new to omd/check_mk/nagios/python. i have the basics up and running and am collecting data from our application nodes. what i would like to now do is perform a time-series check and as such could use a pointer.
> >>
> >>   i am not sure "time series" check is the correct terminology so let me describe what i would like to achieve at a bit of a higher level, specifically:
> >>
> >>     for a given check "a"
> >>     when this check is performed, i would like to retrieve previously captured values and perform a calculation against the set
> >>
> >>     eg: check if we counter-x has not increased more then y% over the last 30 minutes then return critical
> >>
> >>   i assume this is done via accessing the rrd data. i will continue to dig in and research but at the same token i very much appreciate more directed help those on this list can offer.
> >>
> >>   thx in advance,
> >>
> >> - james
> >

> > --
> > Mathias Kettner GmbH
> > Registergericht: Amtsgericht München,  HRB 165902
> > Firmensitz:      Preysingstraße 74, 81667 München
> > Geschäftsführer: Mathias Kettner
> >
> > Tel. 089 / 1890 4210
> > Fax  089 / 1890 4211
> > http://mathias-kettner.de
Sitz / Registergericht: Frankfurt am Main / Amtsgericht Frankfurt am Main
Registernummer: HRA 42705
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Jens Dreger
USt.ID: DE244892265
Komplementaer-GmbH: DREGER Verwaltungs GmbH, Hanauer Landstraße 182a, 60314 Frankfurt am Main
Sitz / Registergericht: Frankfurt am Main / Amtsgericht Frankfurt am Main
Registernummer: HRB 73891
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Jens Dreger