[omd-users] OMD - Logrotate causes check failures

Gibbard, Darren Darren.Gibbard at galacoral.com
Tue Jun 26 11:59:52 CEST 2012

Hi there,
Firstly; i'm running OMD 0.54 (containing Check_MK v.1.1.12p7) on CentOS 6.2 x86_64.

I've recently come to realise that the logrotate function in OMD seems to be generating the following alerts for service checks which are running at the time of the rotation:

"Return code of 15 is out of bounds. Worker exited by signal SIGTERM on worker: <our_omd_box_fqdn>"

One assumes that it's caused by the mod_gearman log rotations, for which it's put in (the OMD default):
---
/omd/sites/oursite/var/log/gearman/*.log {
        missingok
        rotate 52
        compress
        delaycompress
        notifempty
        create 640 oursite oursite
        postrotate
                /omd/sites/oursite/bin/omd reload gearman_worker > /dev/null
        endscript
}
---

Would i be correct in my assumption, that this is the cause? And if so- either... it's moving the logfile from underneath mod_gearman which is making it sad, or the reload of the gearman_worker process isn't very graceful to existing processes... are there any known ways to stop it mangling any current/ongoing checks (Like adding a 'prerotate')? Or any known workarounds?

Thanks in advance,
Darren Gibbard

This email has been sent from Gala Coral Group Limited ("GCG") or a subsidiary or associated company. GCG is registered in England with company number 07254686. Registered office address: 71 Queensway, London W2 4QH, United Kingdom; website: www.galacoral.com.

This e-mail message (and any attachments) is confidential and may contain privileged and/or proprietorial information protected by legal rules. It is for use by the intended addressee only. If you believe you are not the intended recipient or that the sender is not authorised to send you the email, please return it to the sender (and please copy it to hq at galacoral.com) and then delete it from your computer. You should not otherwise copy or disclose its contents to anyone.

Except where this email is sent in the usual course of business, the views expressed are those of the sender and not necessarily ours. We reserve the right to monitor all emails sent to and from our businesses, to protect the businesses and to ensure compliance with internal policies.

Emails are not secure and cannot be guaranteed to be error-free, as they can be intercepted, amended, lost or destroyed, and may contain viruses; anyone who communicates with us by email is taken to accept these risks. GCG accepts no liability for any loss or damage which may be caused by software viruses.