[omd-users] log_initial_states impact in a dynamic monitoring environment

Lars Michelsen lm at mathias-kettner.de
Tue Jan 22 11:36:42 CET 2013

Hi Michael,

there are two options for us: restarting or reloading the nagios
process. But there are no differences related to the initial states
logging. Seems we have  no real chance to change this behavior.

Regards
Lars

On 01/16/2013 02:05 PM, Michael Van Wesenbeeck wrote:
> Hello list.
>
> As my first post to the list, I'ld like to thank mathias and others for creating such an awesome product.
>
> My actual question is about the log_initial_states config variable.
> We are monitoring a cloud platform with lots of resources (and thus checks) being added and removed.
> To add and remove the checks we use the .mk files in the ~/var/check_mk/autochecks/ directory, but we need to reload nagios to make it read the altered configurations.
> We alter the .mk files because we rather not put a "cmk -IIu --checks=xxx HOST" in a script as this would remove checks for services that are unknown at the moment when we want to explicitly remove a particular service.
> I've seen that every reload also logs the initial states.
> I'm a bit worried about performance of SLA (statehist) functionality after a while when lot's of reloads are done.
> I was wondering if there are other ways of adding services without logging the initial states. I was looking at the external commands that can be sent to the nagios command pipe for an "ADD_SERVICE" or similar, but I don't think it can be done.
> If it were possible to add a service in that way, I could have the nagios config rebuilt anyway so that the service is in the config for when a real reload or restart is needed.
>
> Thanks in advance to shed some light on this.
>
> Kind regards,
> Michael Van Wesenbeeck

Lars Michelsen

BESUCHEN SIE UNS AUF DER CEBIT 2013!
Halle 6, Block F16, Standnummer  312

---
Mathias Kettner GmbH
Kellerstraße 29, 81667 München, Germany
Registergericht: Amtsgericht München,  HRB 165902
Geschäftsführer: Mathias Kettner
http://mathias-kettner.de
Tel. +49 89 1890 435-12
Fax. +49 89 1890 43529