[omd-users] OMD future release or update Check_MK?

Jamin jragle at unm.edu
Tue Dec 15 01:21:42 CET 2015

Hi William,

Here is some notes on upgrades using OMD, which might help. (summarized
from our internal docs. Make sure you have backups before you follow any
of this. It worked for us.)

Oh, and repo we are using is:

rpm -Uvh https://labs.consol.de/repo/stable/rhel6/x86_64/labs-consol-stable.rhel6.noarch.rpm

  *
    *BROKEN UPDATES* are the biggest problem with the *OMD*
    distribution**. Automatic updates are, for all intents & purposes,
    broken. Please insert more colorful language and looks of confusion.
    Here is the first hint that there might be an issue:

    [root@ ~]# yum check-update
    Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit, rhnplugin, security
    This system is receiving updates from RHN Classic or RHN Satellite.

    Notice the lack of telling you there is an update for |omd|. Then to
    double check, running this:

    [root@ ~]# yum list omd*
    ...<snip>...
    Installed Packages
    omd-1.20.x86_64 rh61-33 @labs_consol_stable
    Available Packages
    omd-1.30.x86_64                              el6-35                                labs_consol_stable

    (red means orphaned files) These things normally should be installed
    automatically, but for unknown reason(s), the *OMD* maintainers have
    included the version into the name. (poor understanding of rpm's?)

  *
    *MISSING FILES*: updating from OMD 1.20 to 1.30 the graphing
    component was broken. The libdbi.so.0 library was missing from the
    OMD rpm, crucial for the graphing component. The omd-1.30.x86_64 rpm
    also did not catch this as a dependency.
     1.
        To locate rpm for the missing file we used the following command:

          yum whatprovides "*/libdbi.so.0"

     2.
        Installed the following package:

        yum install libdbi-0.8.3-3.1.el6.x86_64

  * *FORCED UPDATES*: updating (assuming just a "production" site)
     1. Stop your site(s):

        omd stop prod

     2.
        Create a copy of the prod site to run the upgrade against the
        copy first. Make sure to *always keep a copy of the old version*
        in case it needs to be reverted:

        omd cp prod <new site name>

     3. Check for current installed packages and available packages:

        yum list omd*

     4. Check for omd versions of of old and new site:

        omd sites

     5. Start new copied site and verify it's up and running:

        omd start <new site name>

     6. Stop the new site:

        omd stop <new site name>

     7. Force the 'update':

        yum install omd -y

     8. Update new site with the |omd update| command:

        omd update <new site name>

     9. You may receive an message stating 'Non empty obsolete directory
        va/nagvis/userfiles. The directory var/nagvis/userfiles has
        become obsolete in the new version….'. Use *d* to delete that
        directory.
    10. Start the newly updated site:

        omd start <new site name>

    11. Once the new copied site is tested and everything works well go
        ahead and run through the steps for the production site, then
        delete the test copy. If there are issues with the new version
        and would like to revert back to the old version follow the
        “*Reverse OMD Upgrade*” process. (delete the copied site, and
        use yum to revert the omd install you did. "yum history undo <id>"