[omd-users] Monitoring a MongoDB instance with Check MK Enterprise 1.2.8p1

Edwards,PR,Peter,TAG7 R peter.3.edwards at bt.com
Mon Jan 16 17:31:15 CET 2017

Thanks, Robert.

I didn't make much headway trying to get the third party MongoDB plugins for Check MK and Nagios working with my Check MK setup - Enterprise 1.2.8p1.

I eventually discovered through trial and error, however, that the existing bundled plugin which I thought should have been available somewhere, could be downloaded from under the WATO - Configuration section - Monitoring Agents, then Unpackaged Agents.  From there, I was able to download a mk_mongodb plugin file which when installed - and slightly modified - into  my target host's /usr/lib/check_mk_agent/plugins directory, resulted in several MongoDB services showing up after I refreshed the Services of the host.

I had already installed the Python pymongo dependency, but I also had to specify the mk_mongodb script's "host" parameter on line 27 of mk_mongodb, and modify line 35 to use that variable in a call to pymongo.MongoClient.

But after those changes, I was able to run mk_mongodb from the command line see it retrieve some data about the running MongoDB database installation.  This data was also then available in the output from check_mk_agent.

Thanks for your pointers though ... :)

Peter.

--
Peter Edwards

BT Technology, Service & Operations
This Personal email contains my own opinions, sent In Confidence and does not represent the views of British Telecommunications plc or BT Technology, Service & Operations

BT Group plc Registered office: 81 Newgate Street London EC1A 7AJ. Registered in England and Wales no. 4190816 This electronic message contains information from BT Group plc which may be privileged or confidential.  The information is intended to be for the use of the individual(s) or entity named above.  If you are not the intended recipient be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited.  If you have received this electronic message in error, please delete it and notify me immediately by telephone or email.