[omd-users] Monitoring Disks that are not always attached

Steve Grzywinski steveg at i2m.solutions
Mon Apr 20 23:44:58 CEST 2020

We have a few windows servers that dynamically mount drives as part of a backup process (veeam) and RDS farms that dynamically mount filesystems to user directories

So a server will have drive letters appear and disappear as drives are mounted to backup and the RDS users have filesystems mounts to C:/Users/<user>  appear and disappear.

When they are attached, all good, when they are not they go into an UNKNOWN state.

We have discovery running (every 4 hours) and it will eventually clean this all up automatically.

We thought we can just increase discovery times for these servers, but how often is too much?  If we re-inventory every :15 on this subset of servers is that too much (about 25 servers)?

Is there a better way to have these drives/filesystems monitored?

Steve Grzywinski
president & chief technical officer
484.433.7136
steveg at i2m.solutions
600 west germantown pike . suite 400 . plymouth meeting, pa 19462
phone/ fax : 888.991.3814 . web : i2m.solutions